Sunday, August 16, 2009

Grant County Speedway 8/15/09

Tonight was the season championship night at the Grant County Speedway and I came in to it 3 points behind Brandon Wilson. It has been a great year racing with Brandon, we have a lot of respect for each other on the track, and that makes racing that much more fun. In order to win the championship I had to gain 4 points on Brandon because he would win a tie-breaker with more feature wins. In the heat race I jumped out to the lead quick and never looked back, and Brandon finished 3rd which meant I gained 2 points on him and we went into the feature with only 1 point separating us. The feature lined up according to points with Brandon starting on the pole and me outside of him. In the introductions I went and shook his hand and said "May the best man win." Brandon and I ran 1 and 2 most of the race until a late restart. On the backstretch after the restart Brandon's car started cutting out, which let me get by him, but I knew I had to beat him by 2 spots to win the championship, but I couldn't be worrying about that now. I just kept pushing and managed to win the race, and during the victory lane interview the announce informed me that not only had I won the feature, but also the track championship. I was ecstatic, but the main thing is to keep focused because we are still leading the points at the other track we race at. This takes a little pressure off us though, and hopefully we can bring home 2 track championships this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment